Skip to content

Farewell Monty

December 26, 2012

Saturday was a tough day at the rescue clinic. They had two litters of fresh puppies (huskies and lab/beagle mixes) plus stand-alone puppies.  I get that some people want puppies, but my heart broke every time new people would walk right past Monty and head straight for the puppies with their eyes lit up.  I get it, I do. Those puppies were freaking adorable. But for a six month old dog who’s pushing 60 pounds, Monty had some stiff competition. Of course, if I were in the market for another dog I’d have already written a check for his adoption fee. I love big dogs, I especially love big dogs who aren’t 12 weeks old!  There are probably a lot of other people like me, but on the Saturday before Christmas it’s all families who want baby puppies. I know those pups need homes too, but dang it, my Monty and all the other older dogs deserve a home for Christmas.

A couple of hours into the clinic a nice woman stopped to meet Monty, she sounded like a perfect fit – she had a farm, a couple of other big dogs and, best of all, no children.  But she seemed a little distracted; she had actually showed up to look at another dog.  Quite a lot of time went by and the woman never came back for the walk with Monty I had offered her.  Fifteen minutes before the end of the clinic most people were packing it in.  I felt like the day was pretty pointless and I was thinking of just leaving too.  But then she came back. The woman said she had talked to another volunteer and she wanted to take Monty for a little walk outside.  I was so excited.  She told me about her other dogs and that they were waiting in her truck. Since Monty isn’t the best with introductions, we let her dogs out and walked all three big doggies side-by-side until proper butt sniffing commenced. Before long Monty was trying to play with her shepherd and seemed to be having a good time. Turns out, the reason the woman hadn’t come back yet to see Monty was because she was busy being interviewed and approved for adoption!

Her husband hadn’t yet met Monty so we agreed to take Monty out to her farm the next day to check out the house and make sure Monty was a good fit. The first thing Monty did was explore and before you know it, he was dragging a giant bone (at least two feet long) down into their living room. It was adorable.   No one can resist that kind of charm.

We left Monty in their care that evening.  It was a really hard drive home for me. As tough as it was having three dogs, he really was a part of our family.  This was happening just hours before we let him go:

Sleepy Snuggles

Sleepy Snuggles

I cried all the way home, they were a mix of happy and sad tears.  I think the home will be awesome for Monty. There are cats, dogs, chickens and horses for him to play with and his new mom has already sent me a video of him romping with his new buddies in the snow.  When we returned home on Sunday night I sat on the couch and cried and my sweet Wrigley was there for me.

My Girl

My Girl

Monty brought a lot of sweetness into our life and the least we could do was give him a place to sleep, eat, play and be safe along his journey to his forever home.  If you’re thinking of adopting or fostering or are looking for a great place to make a year-end donation, Homeward Bound is a terrific organization.

About these ads
9 Comments leave one →
  1. December 26, 2012 1:42 pm

This story warms my heart. My mother’s dog is nearly 15, and he’s dying of cancer. I know she won’t be ready for a new dog for a long time yet, but I’ll be sure to point her there for when she is. (Other friends have adopted from them and spoken highly as well.) I am so glad Monty found a good home, he sounds like such a good, sweet boy.

• December 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh no, I’m so sorry about your Mother’s dog, that’s really tough. Hope the dog is comfortable. And 15 is a pretty darn good life for any dog but that doesn’t make it any easier.

Maybe when she’s ready your mom might consider fostering. It’s a great way to help other dogs and maybe ease her back into dog life when the time is right.

2. December 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I love me a good older dog. What a great thing you did, and I’m glad Monty found a great home. Happy new year.

• December 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I think if we ever have the energy to foster again it’ll definitely be a senior dog. After two weeks of craziness with the two “puppies” I didn’t think we’d ever foster again (SO much work, very little sleep and quite a bit of destruction!), but as we were driving home from leaving Monty at his new home Drew is the one who piped up that we may want to consider fostering a senior dog down the road.

You’d mentioned before you guys always had 3 dogs, how did you manage? Monty and Agent Cooper constantly fed off of each other’s energy and created so much chaos (hilarious as it was, it was also exhausting!). Were there big age gaps with your dogs?

• December 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Well the first dog we adopted was already about 5. It soon became clear that he was going to be Jim’s dog so a year later we adopted a ~6mo from the shelter, my girl Harriet. She was very playful but he was a regal, “above it all” super calm dog and would have no part of it.

A year after that we adopted the 3rd dog, again about 6 mos. She was abandoned in a junkyard in Queens. Stella and Harriet got along beautifully, played in dog runs and even in parks off leash in NYC. We would plan our vacations out of the city around which hotels were dog friendly. Stowe VT was a destination several years in a row because rhe dogs could run and swim.

This was all in NYC and I was in school at the time. I stopped waiting tables to become a dog walker while in school. We even boarded certain dogs that got along well with ours too, so certain holiday weekends there were 7 or 8 dogs in our tiny apt. We took them to the dog run in our neighborhood.

It was a very unique “pack” of dog friends that we were able to do this without fighting over food or toys or attention as even the best-behaved dogs are wont to do. I still keep in touch with many many clients from my NYC days who indeed became dear friends.

You mentioned the walking was an issue. We were very capable of walking 3 or 4 dogs safely. You just get used to it. In NYC you see dog walkers walking 8 or 9 dogs. That’s crazy.

3. December 28, 2012 3:52 pm

I love these stories, too! SO glad Monty got the perfect home! Nothing makes me happier than a happy dog. Or cat. Or anything. ;)

• December 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Lauri!! You’re right, there’s nothing better than a happy dog, it really makes life so good to be around happy dogs. I was so fortunate to be a part of Monty’s rescue, he is an awesome little guy.

• December 28, 2012 4:24 pm

We have three dogs and five cats. My kids were here for CHristmas and that made seven dogs in the house. It was pretty much mayhem!

4. Run A Muck Ranch permalink
    January 1, 2013 11:27 pm

Blessed are the older dogs that are SO much easier to integrate into daily life than puppies! Our preferred minimum age of adoption at this point is 3 years… that being said, with 12 already under our roof… adoption is not something we are rushing out to do right now. By the time our existing kids pass away to the point we are at rational numbers again, and are able to adopt – I think the minimum age will be 10!